Monday, October 17, 2005

Libby didn't tell Judith Mr. Wilson's Name, but in her notes she wrote "Valerie Flame"

Some amazing excerpts from NY Times article My Four Hours Testifying in the Federal Grand Jury Room By journalist Judith Miller

My notes indicate that well before Mr. Wilson published his critique, Mr. Libby told me that Mr. Wilson's wife may have worked on unconventional weapons at the C.I.A.

My notes do not show that Mr. Libby identified Mr. Wilson's wife by name. Nor do they show that he described Valerie Wilson as a covert agent or "operative," as the conservative columnist Robert D. Novak first described her in a syndicated column published on July 14, 2003.

Another good article

Later...
On one page of my interview notes, for example, I wrote the name "Valerie Flame." Yet, as I told Mr. Fitzgerald, I simply could not recall where that came from, when I wrote it or why the name was misspelled.

I testified that I did not believe the name came from Mr. Libby, in part because the notation does not appear in the same part of my notebook as the interview notes from him.


Yeah, sure he didn't mention it, Judy. Keep thinking about those intertwined roots of the...er Aspens.

And I like this:
I recalled Mr. Libby's frustration and anger about what he called "selective leaking" by the C.I.A. and other agencies to distance themselves from what he recalled as their unequivocal prewar intelligence assessments. The selective leaks trying to shift blame to the White House, he told me, were part of a "perverted war" over the war in Iraq.


Unequivocal? The CIA was the agency that sent Mr. Wilson who wrote the report reputiating the Niger yellowcake theory. The CIA also sent information to the White House before President Bush's "State of the Union" speech in 2003 showing their belief that the famous aluminum tubes were not for uranium enrichment, but for the approved purposes that the Iraqis said they were for. In October 2002 Tenet, before the Senate said that an invasion of Iraq would most likely make the country a nice staging ground for terrorist camps-- and indeed, recent and earlier reports have confirmed that there are now more terrorist camps in Iraq than there ever were in Afghnistan.

Also see: Focusing on the real issues of the Plame case

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link