Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Great democracy guys

For this we went to war?

Iraq detainees 'found starving'

Iraq's government says it has begun an investigation into the alleged abuse of more than 170 detainees held by Iraqi security forces in Baghdad.

The prisoners, many malnourished and some showing signs of torture, were found when US troops took control of an interior ministry building on Sunday.

The US raid followed repeated enquiries by the parents of a missing teenager.

Iraq's prime minister has promised to find those responsible for any abuse. Most of those held were Sunnis.

'Hard evidence'

The BBC's Caroline Hawley in Baghdad says the discovery will not come as a surprise to many Iraqis.

There have been persistent allegations of abuse by members of the Shia-dominated security forces, our correspondent says.

But Sunday's discovery is hard evidence and officials believe it may be the tip of the iceberg.
More at: BBC News

For those who don't go into "comments", Elendil has a list of referenced articles on previous accounts of torture

Eblogger Khalid Jarrar was held in detention earlier this year by what seems to be a the same or similar group. I hope we hear from him about it soon.

Washington Post article on this:Torture Alleged After U.S.-Led Raid Uncovers Iraqi-Run Prison

3 Comments:

Blogger elendil said...

This incident is part of a much wider pattern of abuse and torture by Iraq's new govt.

7:50 PM  
Blogger BrStarr said...

I have to recomend elendil's link. He's got a whole list of similar reports.

Except for those 10 that died in that van last, and the time that Eblogger Khalid Jarrar was held for a couple of weeks, I didn't realize this was that big of problem.

I hope this will get some action to prevent the militias from doing that.

If it's not a brother or a friend, it's someone just like that.

Like I implied in the post: What have we accomplished, if this is how our puppet government acts now that they've have their elections.

BTW, sorry about the moderation-I was just testing the new link I saw out, but I think I'll keep it on as I might miss a comment otherwise if it's applied somewhere below. Check back later to see a response. OKay?

Alright if the moderation really annoys, let me know and I'll flip it back if eblogger lets me.

11:43 PM  
Blogger elendil said...

Thanks, I'm glad you found it useful. I've been trying very hard to get some attention on this issue through my blog. It's only recently that torture has got "trendy" again.

Yes, it's a massive issue, it's widespread, and worst of all, I think it is really exacerbating the situation of ethnic tension, making full-blown civil war just that little bit more likely.

It angers me very much. I firmly believe that if the American people had taken notice when they had the chance with Abu Ghraib, not made any excuses, just stamped this scourge out, we would not have the problems we have now. It is a missed opportunity.

PS I'm a "she" :-)

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link