Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Schools shouldn't depend on parent involvement

So says Washington Post article, Parents' Effect on Achievement Shaky

And all I can say is: "Well, finally".

After hearing from every burned out teacher and administrator that the problems with students come from the parents, it is good news that this is being brought up.


I agree. There are problems with schools, but don't blame the parents. The school is the school. The teacher is the teacher.

Get over it.

Parents are working up to 12 hour days just to keep a roof over their families' heads and food on the table.

To have schools blame them for faulty education while the GOP goes merrily around the country defunding the public school system is ludicrous.

Sure parents should do what they reasonably can, but -- not to denegrate those true believers in the article, nor those in the country who feel the same -- the people in schools that I've met who blame parents seemed to be burned out and just there for the pay check. I haven't met everyone in the nation, so I'll keep my mind open. I hope the parent blamers will do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link